Court rejects Todros Grynhaus’s appeal against jail sentence for child sex assaults

JC Reports

Todros Grynhaus, a “dangerous and manipulative” former teacher who abused two teenage girls has had his appeal against his prison sentence thrown out.

Todros Grynhaus, a rabbi’s son and prominent member of the Charedi community in Salford, was jailed for 13 year and two months at Manchester Crown Court last July.

He challenged the sentence at London’s Criminal Appeal Court on Thursday, with his lawyers arguing it was ”far too long”.

But his appeal was thrown out by three senior judges, who said he could not complain given the breach of trust involved in his crimes.

The court heard Grynhaus was a well-respected member of the tight-knit, strictly Orthodox Jewish community in Salford when he committed the offences.

Presiding, Lady Justice Hallett said he “drove a wedge” between his victims and the community, in a bid to stop his crimes being discovered.

Jonathan Goldberg QC, for Grynhaus, argued that the Crown Court judge was wrong to find he posed a danger to the public and that the length of his sentence was unjustified.

But, dismissing his appeal, Lady Justice Hallett said there were “matters of great concern” about Grynhaus which justified an extended sentence.

Sitting with Mr Justice Haddon-Cave and Mr Justice Dingemans, she added: “This was a lengthy sentence, but the offences were serious ones.

“There was a high degree of breach of trust. In our view, the judge conducted a full, fair and thorough sentencing exercise and it was unimpeachable.”

The discovery of Grynhaus’s crimes prompted Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis to declare publicly that sexual abuse must always be reported to the police.

Lady Justice Hallett told the court: “We can only hope that all communities, of whatever faith, who in the past have considered it appropriate to sweep this sort of conduct under the carpet, will bear the Chief Rabbi’s wise words in mind.”

Grynhaus, formerly of Castleton Road, Salford, abused two girls aged between 13 and 15 during a period in the 1990s.

The 51-year-old fled to Israel with a false passport following his arrest after his crimes were exposed, and was later extradited to the UK.

He admitted jumping bail and was found guilty of five counts of indecent assault and two of sexual assault.

As well as his jail term, the father-of-10 and successful businessman was ordered to serve an extra four years on licence after his sentence expired.

Grynhaus was also told to pay £80,000 in compensation to his two victims and £35,000 in prosecution costs.

Police were informed of his crimes after one of the victims confided in a doctor.

He was arrested but fled to Israel using a false passport whilst on bail.

He remained in an Israeli prison for 18 months while he made a number of attempts to avoid extradition – including a bid for Israeli citizenship.

But he was eventually returned to the UK in September 2014.

He maintained his innocence throughout his trial.

Posted in media, news-articles.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *