SYDNEY, Australia — An Orthodox Jewish teacher was deported to the United States after serving a jail sentence for sexually abusing four boys at a Jewish school in Melbourne more than two decades ago.
David Kramer, 54, was sentenced last year to a non-parole period of 18 months after pleading guilty to abusing the four minors at the Chabad-run Yeshivah College between 1989 and 1992.
Kramer – whom the pupils knew as “Rabbi Kramer” — was released in late September and deported to the United States, the Sydney Morning Herald reported Tuesday, citing confirmation from the Immigration Department.
Manny Waks, the only Jewish victim to have spoken publicly in Australia, said it was imperative people know Kramer’s whereabouts. “Kramer has a shocking track-record of sexually abusing many children in more than one country,” he said in a statement.
Kramer fled Australia after he was confronted over allegations he sexually abused children at the boys’ school.
It emerged in court last year that the college helped pay for Kramer to flee the country because leaders were “concerned for his welfare.”
A dual Israeli and American national, he moved first to Israel, then to the United States. In 2008 he was jailed for four years for sodomizing a 12-year-old boy at a synagogue in St. Louis, Missouri.
Waks accused the leaders of the Yeshivah Center, which runs the college, of being complicit in the crime Kramer committed against the American minor.
“Had they responded appropriately to the allegations, the U.S. victim would probably have been spared,” Waks said.
When news broke in 2012 that Kramer was about to be released, Australian prosecutors requested his extradition to Australia to face charges of indecent assault and indecent acts with a child under 16.
After his sentencing last year, the principal of Yeshivah College issued an “unreserved apology for any historical wrongs that have occurred.”
“Yeshivah sincerely regrets and unreservedly apologizes for not informing the police at the time the allegations arose.”
Another Orthodox former employee of Yeshivah, David Cyprys, remains in jail after being sentenced last year to a non-parole period of five-and-a-half years for raping one boy and molesting eight others — including Waks — when Cyprys was employed as a security guard at Chabad’s center in the early 1990s.
It is believed leaders of Yeshivah will be called before the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse early next year.
From haaretz.com (http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/jewish-world-news/1.628439)